First of all let your BBQ ash cool for 48 hours or you can speed up the process by pouring water over the hot charcoal and stirring it very carefully.
Here are few ideas on how you could recycle your used charcoal, (but not the briquettes with additives!)
- Charcoal ash contains potash, an important nutrient for some plants and it’s a great way to increase the pH of the soil, so mix some crushed charcoal with orchid potting medium to increase the alkalinity.
- Suppress garden weeds and maintain soil moisture by using charcoal as a mulch.
- Feed your compost pile to increase the carbon content.
- Put a lump at the bottom of a flower vase to make cut flowers last longer.
- Keep a few pieces in a perforated bag in the fridge to kill odours.
- Keep a couple of pieces to make eyes for your snowman when winter comes!
- Do some sketching?